Fresh corn and blueberries add sweetness and tang to this gluten free and dairy free cornbread. Spread with homemade thyme-honey butter for a comforting treat any time of day.
For the cornbread:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal, divided
- 1 cup + handful blueberries
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 cup coarsely ground cornmeal
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh off the cob or frozen and defrosted
For the thyme-honey butter:
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw local honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 335F. Prepare a cast iron skillet or 8x8 inch baking dish by rubbing it with vegan butter or spray oil.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon flax meal with 2.5 tablespoons water. Let the mixture sit until the flax egg gels.*
- Wash and dry the blueberries with a towel. Place the berries in a zip-top bag with the rice flour. Shake the bag until the berries are coated in the flour.
- Combine the remaining flax meal, oat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, butter, almond milk, and lemon juice.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Fold the corn kernels and 1 cup of the blueberries into the batter. Let the batter sit for 20 minutes to develop body.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet or baking dish. Top with remaining handful of blueberries. Bake for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and there is not much give to the top when pressed gently.
- To make the thyme-honey butter, add all ingredients to an electric mixer and beat on high speed until fully combined and whipped.
To make this 100% vegan, substitute honey with agave nectar!
*Read more about how to make & use flax eggs here.
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan and gluten free blueberry cornbread