This colorful and hearty harvest salad is full of fiber and nutrients from wild rice, roasted carrots, radishes, sweet potatoes and onions. It’s a healthy and satisfying seasonal side dish.
- 1 ½ cups wild rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 carrots, sliced into ½ inch rounds on the bias
- 1 medium sweet potato, sliced into ½ inch half moons
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced into ½ inch slices
- 1 bunch of radishes, quartered (about 8 radishes)
- 7–8 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2–3 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped, optional
- Fresh sage, optional*
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ jalapeño, deseeded and minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Few cracks of black pepper to taste, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425F. In a saucepan, combine the rice, vegan butter and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 45 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the grains are tender. Let the rice stand, covered for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Add the carrots and sweet potato to one baking sheet with 1½ tbsp olive oil and one or two generous pinches of salt. Add the onions, radishes and Brussels sprouts to a second baking sheet with 1½ tbsp olive oil and another pinch of salt. Toss all of the veggies to coat evenly.
- Roast all of the vegetables until fork-tender, stirring halfway through. The carrots and sweet potatoes will take about 25 minutes. The onions, radishes, and Brussels sprouts will take about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, maple syrup, Dijon, vinegar, jalapeño, garlic, ½ tsp salt and pepper.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently. They may pop, that’s normal. Toast until the seeds start to brown, 3-4 minutes. Then remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl.
- To assemble the salad, combine the cooked rice, roasted veggies and dressing in a large bowl. Toss to combine well. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds and cilantro.
*For a delightful garnish, fry your sage leaves in vegan butter until just beginning to brown. They turn into delicious edible herb chips.