I could easily eat the whole batch of these easy vegan matcha cookies with white chocolate and macadamia nuts! They're soft and chewy, have just the right amount of sweetness, and taste absolutely amazing. This recipe is also easy to adapt to be gluten free.
- 3 cups all purpose flour (can also use gluten free 1:1 flour)
- 2 tablespoons culinary grade matcha
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Optional: 3/4 cup finely chopped salted macadamia nuts, plus more for topping
- Optional: 8 ounces melted vegan white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350˚F/175˚C.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, matcha, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, maple syrup, applesauce, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon extract and lemon juice.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, using an electric mixer, until well combined. Add in 3/4 cup of macadamia nuts (optional).
- Portion cookie dough using a cookie scoop and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Use a flat-bottom measuring cup (or water glass) to gently flatten each cookie (they won't spread much in the oven).
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Optional: When cooled, drizzle white chocolate over each cookie and top with more macadamia nuts.
Matcha: There are several different varieties of matcha, each coming with slightly different flavor qualities as well as price tags. Culinary matcha is our go-to choice for these cookies and is typically easy to find. Ceremonial grade matcha is more expensive, but tends to have much more flavor (and will retain more green color when baked).
Make them gluten free: Swap regular all purpose flour with gluten free 1:1 flour.
Macadamia nuts and white chocolate optional: We love to take these cookies up a notch with the addition of white chocolate and macadamia nuts, but feel free to leave them out. You can also just use one or the other, or simply add the white chocolate chips straight to the batter instead of drizzling on top.
Make ahead and bake from freezer: Make the dough, portion (and flatten), then freeze. You can bake the dough straight from the freezer – they just may need an extra minute or two in the oven.
Storage: Store leftover cookies at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Freezer/long-term storage: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Japanese-American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 14.1 g
- Sodium: 88.9 mg
- Fat: 10.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.9 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
Keywords: vegan matcha cookies