These super crunchy, savory, homemade cheesy vegan kale chips are oven-baked, easy to make, and much more cost-effective than store-bought versions!
- 2 cups raw, unsalted cashews, soaked in room temp water for 2 hours
- 1 1/2 red bell peppers, quartered
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 10 cups (2 big bunches) curly kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 tsp agave syrup
- 1/2 tbsp fine kosher salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Optional: 2 pinches of cayenne or a touch of sriracha
- 2-3 tbsp sesame seeds
- Soak the cashews in room temperature water for 2-3 hours to soften. Drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place quartered peppers on a baking sheet along with the cherry tomatoes. Drizzle olive oil over the peppers and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and toss gently to coat well. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until the peppers start to blacken and skin starts to pull away. Remove from oven and cool until you can remove the skins easily with a fork. Remove all pepper skins.
- Wash kale and pat dry with paper towels.
- Add the cashews, roasted peppers and tomatoes, hemp seeds, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, agave, 1/2 tbsp salt, and all spices to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, taste and adjust seasoning. For some heat, add cayenne or sriracha to taste.
- Put kale in a large bowl along with 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups of cashew sauce, and massage until well coated. Add more sauce as needed.
- Spread dressed kale onto dehydrator sheets and sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds. Dehydrate overnight. Store kale chips in airtight container for up to 1 week.
- If you don't have a dehydrator, you can bake the kale chips at 200 F for 45 minutes - 1 hour. NOTE: they may not get quite as crispy. We suggest stirring every 15 minutes to make sure they get evenly crispy.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheesy vegan kale chips