We’ll admit, kale might deserve a few eye rolls for the health fad it’s become in the past few years. But these super crunchy, savory homemade cheesy vegan kale chips with vegan cashew cheese sauce will have your arms reaching for more!
- 2 cups raw, unsalted cashews, soaked in room temp water for 2 hours
- 1 1/2 red bell peppers, quartered
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 10 cups (2 big bunches) curly kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 tsp agave syrup
- 1/2 tbsp fine kosher salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Optional: 2 pinches of cayenne or a touch of sriracha
- 2–3 tbsp sesame seeds
- Soak the cashews in room temperature water for 2-3 hours to soften. Drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place quartered peppers on a baking sheet along with the cherry tomatoes. Drizzle olive oil over the peppers and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and toss gently to coat well. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until the peppers start to blacken and skin starts to pull away. Remove from oven and cool until you can remove the skins easily with a fork. Remove all pepper skins.
- Wash kale and pat dry with paper towels.
- Add the cashews, roasted peppers and tomatoes, hemp seeds, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, agave, 1/2 tbsp salt, and all spices to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, taste and adjust seasoning. For some heat, add cayenne or sriracha to taste.
- Put kale in a large bowl along with 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups of cashew sauce, and massage until well coated. Add more sauce as needed.
- Spread dressed kale onto dehydrator sheets and sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds. Dehydrate overnight. Store kale chips in airtight container for up to 1 week.
- If you don’t have a dehydrator, you can bake the kale chips at 200 F for 45 minutes – 1 hour. NOTE: they may not get quite as crispy. We suggest stirring every 15 minutes to make sure they get evenly crispy.