These soft and chewy vegan and gluten free double chocolate chip peppermint cookies are dipped in dark chocolate for a rich, festive holiday cookie you HAVE to make.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour*
- 1/3 cup oat flour*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped peppermint dark chocolate bar (like this one)
- 8 oz melted dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Stir together flax meal and water and let sit to thicken for 15 minutes.
- Melt vegan butter. (To prevent a mess in the microwave, we suggest doing so in a small saucepan over low heat on the stove.) Once melted, add to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add both types of sugar and beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until it forms a thick paste.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flax "egg", peppermint extract and vanilla extract to butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add dry mixture to wet ingredients in a few batches until fully incorporated. Fold in both types of chocolate (chips and chunks).
- Using a large cookie dough scoop (2-3tbsp), scoop out dough and arrange on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet.
- Freeze for 30 minutes. Don't skip this step, otherwise the dough will spread a lot in the oven.
- Bake 5-6 cookies at a time (they spread quite a bit) for 12 minutes. (If baking smaller cookies, bake for 9-10 minutes).
- Optional: Immediately after removing from the oven, use the inside curved part of fork to press the edges of the cookie in to create crinkly, crispy edges.
- Let cookies cool completely. Melt dark chocolate and crush candy canes. Dip each cookie in chocolate (or drizzle chocolate on top of cookie - either works). Top with crushed candy canes. Let chocolate set, then enjoy! To speed this up, transfer to refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes.
*Not gluten free? No problem. Substitute all purpose gluten free flour AND oat flour with 1 1/3 cup regular all purpose flour.
Storage: we suggest storing in the refrigerator (to prevent the chocolate from getting all melty at room temperature). You can also store them in the freezer.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: double chocolate peppermint cookies