This vegan dill pickle and potato soup is next level comfort food! It's creamy, rich, packed with vegetables and a unique recipe perfect for any pickle lover.
- 5-6 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegan cream alternative*
- 1 tbsp fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup diced carrots (2-3 large carrots)
- 3/4 cup finely diced Kosher dill pickles
- 1/4 cup pickle juice from jar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1 ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper
- Optional: A few dashes of tabasco or another vinegar-based hot sauce
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Peel and dice potatoes and add to boiling water. Reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes, until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and roughly mash. Stir in sour cream, creamer and chopped dill.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Add carrots and pickles and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, pickle juice, mashed potatoes, salt, and pepper and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
*We often use this plain vegan creamer in savory recipes, but there are a few other heavy cream alternatives on the market that will also work well. Whatever you choose, make sure that it's unsweetened and unflavored!
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dill pickle soup