This creamy vegan potato kale soup is the perfect balance between creamy, rich comfort food and healthy, nourishing dinner. It's quick and easy to make and ready in 45 minutes.
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 1/4 cups finely diced leeks (~3 large leeks)
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 3 cups yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chopped lacinato kale (~1 medium bunch of kale)
- 1 1/2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-1 1/4 tsp fine grain kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil, divided
- Heat a large pot over medium and melt butter. Once melted, add leeks and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and celery and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, salt and pepper, stir well and continue cooking for 7-8 minutes.
- Pour in broth, lemon juice, kale, half of parsley and half of basil and bring to a boil. Once the soup comes to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Transfer soup to a heat-safe blender and blend until soup is smooth and creamy.
- Return the the pot and stir in the other half of the parsley and basil. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if desired. Serve topped with nondairy yogurt and more fresh herbs.
Leeks: we love using leeks in this recipe instead of onion, but if you can't find any leeks, yellow onion is a great substitute.
Potatoes: Yukon gold potatoes work best in puréed soup because they don't get super gummy/mealy when blended. Avoid using red or russet potatoes, which won't have quite as creamy a texture when blended.
Serve with: warm crusty bread or a hot sandwich. For a refreshing side salad, try this Greek chickpea salad or this lemon white bean salad.
Top with: a drizzle of coconut milk or nondairy yogurt, more fresh herbs, black pepper, crispy chickpeas or croutons.
Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
This soup also tastes delicious unblended.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy potato kale soup