This vegan roasted beet soup is extra creamy, flavorful, and comforting. It's easy to make and kid-friendly. The beet flavor isn't overwhelming with the addition of potatoes, carrots and apple for a well-rounded soup. Perfect for a plant-based weeknight dinner!
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced beets (~3 large beets)
- 1 cup yellow potatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced (we used Granny Smith)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ¼-1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup dairy free milk (we used cashew milk)
- 3-4 tbsp fresh dill, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 375˚ F. To make clean up easier, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash beets, slice off each end and peel. Dice peeled beets into ½-inch pieces. Toss with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil to coat and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Roast for 30-35 minutes, until fork tender. Stir once or twice while roasting.
- Preheat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and once heated, add in onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Once onions are softened, add garlic, potatoes, carrots, salt, and pepper and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add roasted beets, apple, and broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Carefully transfer soup to a heat safe blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add lemon juice and milk and blend for another 30 seconds. Alternatively, keep the soup in a pot and blend with an immersion blender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Pour soup back into the pot and stir in the fresh dill. Cook for additional 5 minutes over low heat.
- Serve hot topped with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh dill and bread.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 8.2 g
- Sodium: 1064.1 mg
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.3 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: creamy beet soup