This creamy vegan beet pasta is a delicious plant-based dinner and a great way to get your kids to eat more veggies! Think vegan mac and cheese, with roasted beets for an extra serving of vegetables and color. Only 8 ingredients, easy to make and weeknight friendly.
- 12 oz macaroni (or other pasta of choice), cooked according to package directions (reserve pasta water)
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews, soaked in room temp water for 2 hours
- 1 large (or two small) beet(s), peeled and diced (should be 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4-1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-4 tbsp reserved pasta water for consistency
- Soak cashews in room temperature water for 2 hours. Drain and rinse. (If you're short on time, 30 minutes in hot water will do.)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Wash, peel and roughly dice beet. Toss beets in about 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a sheet pan and roast for about 35 minutes, until slightly caramelized and fork tender. Set aside and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Add cashews, beets, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a blender. Blend for about 20 seconds until it forms a paste, then slowly drizzle in olive oil and blend until smooth and creamy. Add 3-4 tbsp of pasta water to thin out the sauce.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta and stir well to coat. Enjoy warm.
Use gluten free pasta if desired.
Forgot to reserve the pasta water? No problem – regular water (or even nondairy milk) will do.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy beet pasta