This decadent vegan and gluten free chocolate peanut butter ice cream cake is made with a chocolate cake base, peanut butter ice cream (with peanut butter cups), peanut butter frosting and topped with more peanut butter cups. Perfect for a birthday celebration or summer entertaining!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (softened at room temperature)
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup vegan milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted dark chocolate, cooled
- 1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk (chilled if possible)
- 1 5.4 oz can coconut cream (chilled if possible)
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup chopped peanut butter cups
- 1 ½ cup vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1-3 tbsp nut milk
- More peanut butter cups for topping
- Preheat oven to 335˚F and grease two 8-inch cake pans (and line with parchment paper if possible).
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the coconut oil and sugar until creamy. Add in the vanilla and applesauce and continue mixing until smooth.
- Stir together the milk and vinegar and set aside. Stir together the gluten free flour, oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Alternate adding the milk and flour mixtures to the cake batter until completely combined. Add in the melted chocolate and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter between two pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely. If the tops are uneven, use a knife to cut off the top and flatten.
- In a blender, combine the coconut milk, cream, peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and blend well. Pour into ice cream maker and churn. At the end, mix in chopped peanut butter cups.
- We use an 8" springform pan to assemble the cake. Start with a layer of the cake, then add all of the ice cream, then the second layer of cake. Press down gently to flatten and freeze until solid.
- Just before serving, cream the butter with an electric mixer. Add in peanut butter and mix until just incorporated, then add in sifted powdered sugar a half cup at a time, until thick and creamy. Add in 1 tbsp of milk at a time until it reaches desired consistency.
You can use store-bought vegan peanut butter cups or make your own!
Keywords: vegan ice cream cake