This savory tart is made with carrot top pesto, roasted carrots, and topped with pistachios and pomegranate. It's vegan, gluten free and makes for a wonderful holiday appetizer!
- 2 1/4 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup cold vegan butter, diced into small cubes
- 6 tbsp ice water
Carrot top pesto*+ ricotta:
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1 cup carrot top greens (wash well and remove stems)
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegan ricotta
- 2 lbs. carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 tsp olive oil + more for brushing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For topping: chopped pistachios, vegan feta, pomegranate
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- To make crust, stir together flour, oregano, salt and pepper. Add in cold butter and use your hands to mix until it forms a shaggy dough. You should still have some small pieces of butter throughout the dough, so don't overmix. Slowly pour in the ice water and knead gently until the dough forms a ball.
- Flatten dough into a disc and place in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Remove all air from bag and seal. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough to fill the entire ziploc bag (this makes it much easier to roll out later on!
- Refrigerate dough for 30-40 minutes.
- Prep carrots and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350˚F.
- Meanwhile, add all pesto ingredients except olive oil and ricotta to a food processor or blender. Pulse/blend until well combined, then slowly stream in the olive oil until smooth. Add ricotta and pulse until combined.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and place on lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 9x12" rectangle and transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Spread pesto onto crust, leaving a 1" border all the way around. Arrange carrots on top of pesto. Carefully fold the dough over the edges of the carrots (See photos). The crust may split in some places - use your fingers to gently pinch/smooth back together.
- Brush crust with olive oil and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Top with chopped pistachios, vegan feta, pomegranate and fresh parsley or basil.
*To make this recipe quicker, feel free to use store-bought pesto.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot tart