This broccoli and pea soup is easy to make, full of flavor, and will taste amazing whether you use fresh or frozen vegetables. Best of all, it's vegan, takes less than 45 minutes, and is a great way to eat more vegetables.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (~1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 3 cups fresh or frozen chopped broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 3/4 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- Add oil to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and the garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in broccoli, peas, celery, spinach, dried oregano, salt, pepper and lemon pepper seasoning (if using) and continue cooking for 5 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Pour in broth, lemon juice, and lemon zest and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are completely tender.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a heat safe blender and and blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender.
- Return soup to the pot and stir in the chopped parsley. Cook for 5 more minutes, then serve hot.
Make it thicker: Add 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour to the sautéed vegetables before adding in the broth. Stir well so you don't get any clumps.
Use frozen veggies: You can use frozen broccoli, frozen peas, and frozen spinach without altering this recipe.
Storage: This soup stores well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or up to 6 months in the freezer. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Use a heat safe blender and take care while blending. The steam hot soup releases, paired with the blender's airtight lid, can yield explosive results. We'd recommend taking the plug out of the pour hole in your blender's lid and holding a kitchen towel lightly over the hole when you blend. To avoid this, you can also use an immersion blender, which makes life a lot easier.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 167
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 758.7 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.1 g
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
Keywords: broccoli and pea soup