Everyone needs a great sugar cookie recipe in their repertoire - this one happens to be gluten free, vegan, and friendly to most dietary needs!
- 1 ½ cup coconut oil, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum* (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk
- Sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with Kana pre-cut parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream coconut oil, sugar, agave, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. If you don’t have a stand mixer, use an electric hand mixer. Scrape down the sides a few times to ensure even mixing.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Slowly incorporate the dry mixture into the wet mixture until dough comes together.
- Knead dough into a rough ball shape, cover with a clean towel and chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. It may be easy to divide the dough into 2 or more portions so it’s easier to roll out. Roll dough to about 1/4 in. thick. TIP: roll the dough between two layers of parchment paper to prevent the dough sticking to the rolling pin!
- Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes (start checking at 6 as it depends on the oven), until the top of the cookies are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make icing, sift powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl. Whisk together with coconut milk until completely smooth. Transfer to a piping bag and decorate as desired. Top with sprinkles. Enjoy!
*Xanthan gum is an optional ingredient as most gluten free flour blends already contain it. However, we typically add a small amount more to these cookies as we've found it helps the cookies keep their shape better. Totally optional and up to you if you want to add!
If the dough looks too crumbly and dry, knead in an extra 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil by hand until it stays together when you press it with your fingers.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 28.8 g
- Sodium: 89.1 mg
- Fat: 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.2 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan sugar cookies