Everyone needs a great sugar cookie recipe in their repertoire - this one happens to be gluten free, vegan, and friendly to most dietary needs!
- 1 ½ cup coconut oil, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk
- Sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with Kana pre-cut parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream coconut oil, sugar, agave, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. If you don’t have a stand mixer, use an electric hand mixer. Scrape down the sides a few times to ensure even mixing.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Slowly incorporate the dry mixture into the wet mixture until dough comes together.
- Knead dough into a rough ball shape, cover with a clean towel and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. It may be easy to divide the dough into 2 or more portions so it’s easier to roll out. Roll dough to about ⅛ in. thick. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes (start checking at 5 as it depends on the oven), until the top of the cookies are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make icing, sift powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl. Whisk together with coconut milk until completely smooth. Transfer to a piping bag and decorate as desired. Top with sprinkles. Enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan sugar cookies