Ready to try the BEST creamy, rich, delicious vegan mashed potatoes? They’re easy to make, made with easy-to-find ingredients and nobody will miss the dairy!
- 2–2 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes (about 6 cups mashed)
- 1/3 cup (5 tbsp) vegan butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened dairy free half & half or creamer*, warmed
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Wash and peel potatoes. Put in a large pot, cover with water, add a hefty pinch of salt (about 2 tsp) and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. In a separate small saucepan, heat dairy free milk/creamer just until warmed.
- Mash potatoes using a potato ricer, a food mill, or a traditional potato masher. Stir in butter, warmed creamer, salt and pepper (optional). Stir well, then taste. If you want them to be creamier, add more milk. To make them richer, add more butter. Feel free to add more salt to taste – it may depend on how much salt you use when you boil the potatoes.
- Serve with an extra pat of butter and fresh herbs.
*Make sure the dairy free creamer you choose is unsweetened, not vanilla flavored, and relatively neutral (not coconut milk!).
Notes on mashing technique in blog post.
Read blog post for a few ideas for vegan add-ins, including caramelized onion + feta, roasted garlic + parmesan, sour cream and chives, and super herby mashed potatoes.
Keywords: vegan mashed potatoes, thanksgiving side dish