Our berry basil Moscow mule is a refreshing twist on a classic. We combined fresh blackberries and raspberries with basil and ginger beer to create a delicious and refreshing summer beverage.
- 3/4 cup raspberries, divided
- 3/4 cup blackberries, divided
- 3 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 6 oz vodka
- 3 oz basil simple syrup (see below)
- 12 oz ginger beer
- 8 fresh large basil leaves, torn or chopped into smaller pieces
- 4 sprigs of basil for garnish
Basil Simple Syrup:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup fresh basil
- Add ½ cup sugar and ½ cup of water to a pot. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Add basil leaves, turn the heat down and let simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and remove from the burner.
- Let the simple syrup sit for 25 to 30 minutes. Then pour through a strainer to remove basil leaves.
- Add 4 raspberries and 4 blackberries to each glass and muddle.
- Add a 1/2 cup each of raspberries and blackberries to a cocktail shaker with 8 large torn basil leaves and lime juice.
- Use a muddler to press the mixture well. Then fill the shaker half full with ice, vodka, and our basil simple syrup and shake well for a slow count of 20.
- Use a strainer to pour mixture out of the cocktail shaker. If you want a cocktail without berry pulp, you can pour into a fine mesh sieve and use a spoon to help squeeze the liquid through.
- Add ice to each glass. Then pour 5 oz of berry vodka mixture into each glass. Top with 3 oz of ginger beer, stir, and garnish with a sprig of fresh basil.
Pack in basil leaves: When measuring your ½ cup of basil leaves, be sure to pack the leaves tightly in the measuring cup in order to get the proper measurement.
Keep it fresh: Using fresh basil, lime juice and berries will create a fresher, better-tasting cocktail.
Sub in other berries: Not crazy about blackberries or raspberries? Feel free to sub these out for blueberries, strawberries, or whatever berries you prefer.
No need to mercilessly mash your ingredients while muddling. Just gently crush with a wooden spoon or a muddler 3-4 times to help release their juices.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cooling Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Shaker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Drink
- Calories: 268
- Sugar: 39 g
- Sodium: 12.5 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.5 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 0.9 g
Keywords: berry basil moscow mule