This vegan Avocado BLT salad with tofu bacon, croutons and a ranch-style dressing will convince even the pickiest of eaters to love salad. It may not be the healthiest salad you'll ever eat, but it's surely one of the tastiest!
- 5 oz mixed salad greens
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cooked corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- Optional: garlic dill croutons (recipe in notes section)
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp neutral high heat oil, like safflower or vegetable
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 tsp dairy free milk (for consistency)
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1 tbsp chives, finely minced
- Drain the tofu and pat dry. Wrap in a clean towel or paper towel and set something heavy on top, like a cast iron skillet. Let sit for about 30 minutes, switching out the towel with a fresh one halfway through.
- Meanwhile, if you want to make your own croutons (recipe in notes section), preheat the oven to 350˚F. Whisk together the olive oil, dill, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper and toss with cubed bread. Spread in an even layer on a sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring once or twice, until crispy and golden brown.
- While the croutons are in the oven, make your tofu bacon. Whisk together all of the ingredients for the marinade and dice the tofu into small cubes (like bacon bits). Pour the marinade over the tofu and let sit for a few minutes while you heat a skillet to medium-high.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the skillet, then use a slotted spoon to add the tofu to the pan, leaving the marinade in the bowl. Fry the tofu, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides. Add more of the reserved marinade as the pan dries out.
- While the tofu is cooking, whisk together the dressing ingredients until creamy.
- Prepare the remaining salad ingredients. If using corn, boil in salted water for a few minutes until tender.
- Add all of the ingredients to a big salad bowl and toss well in the dressing. If not eating right away, wait to add in the croutons so they don't get soggy.
Garlic Dill Croutons (instructions above): 2 cups bread cubes, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp dried dill, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
- Category: Salads
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: avocado BLT salad