After a long, cold winter, this light pea & asparagus soup is exactly what we need!
- 2 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped leeks
- 1/2 cup sliced fennel
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 2 cups asparagus, chopped
- 4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups peeled and diced russet potatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chives
- 1 1/2 tsp dill
- 1 1/2 cups leafy kale
- 1 cup cashew milk (or other nondairy alternative)
- Cut leeks in half, remove outer leaves and wash well. Roughly chop.
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, add leeks, fennel and garlic to coconut oil. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
- Add in broth, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover, and let simmer for 20 min.
- Add in peas and asparagus and let simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add in chopped chives, lemon juice, kale, and cashew milk.
- Using either an immersion blender or regular blender that can handle hot food, blend together until smooth. Top with additional asparagus, a drizzle of cashew or coconut cream, microgreens and freeze dried peas for some crunch!
To clean leeks well, slice in half lengthwise and submerge in a bowl filled with warm water to remove dirt. Rinse well.