These vegan and gluten free apricot oat bars are a healthier take on one of our all-time favorite family recipes. They're buttery, slightly tart, just sweet enough, and they're also nut free.
Apricot Jam Filling:
- 3 lbs. fresh apricots, quartered
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier (or other orange-flavored liqueur)
- 1/2 tbsp fresh orange zest
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp white rice flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Cut apricots in half and remove pit, then quarter or roughly chop.
- Add to large saucepan with coconut sugar, cane sugar, and orange liqueur. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often.
- Gently mash apricots as they soften with the back of a wooden spoon. Continue to simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in orange zest towards the end of cooking time.
- Remove from heat and let cool at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add oats, rice flour, coconut sugar, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt to a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add in vegan butter, honey or maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Pulse until crumbly, but well incorporated. You should be able to press the dough together between two fingers without too much crumbling.
- Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper. Press half of crust mixture into pan.
- Top with apricot filling, spread evenly, then top with remaining crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Let the apricots simmer and soften for at least 20 minutes before gently mashing them with the back of a wooden spoon. If you'd like, you can puree the filling once it's finished cooking, but we like to leave some larger apricot pieces for a bit of texture.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apricot oat bars