An old family recipe made gluten free and vegan (but still delicious!).
- 3 flax eggs (One flax egg = 1 tbsp ground flax meal to 2 1/2 tbsp water)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened to room temp
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- Pinch ground cloves
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 1/2 cups chopped, peeled apples
Cinnamon Sugar Glaze:
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cast iron skillet with 1 tsp coconut oil and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Make flax eggs by stirring flax meal into water. Let sit to thicken for 10-15 min, stirring a few times.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, spices and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, coconut sugar, coconut oil, apple sauce, flax eggs, and vanilla. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients, mixing well with each addition.
- Stir in chopped nuts and apples. Pour into skillet and spread evenly. If desired, top with more apples.
- Bake for 45-50 min, or until toothpick comes out dry. Rotate pan once or twice during baking. Once finished, remove from oven and let cool completely before topping with glaze and more chopped nuts.
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth. Pour over cooled cake.
Gluten free cake flour can be hard to find - we order ours online here. If you can't find any, you can substitute with regular gluten free all purpose flour, but the texture may be a bit more dense and chewy.
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Oven