This apple pecan has all of my favorite components: crunchy apples, a sweet and salty pecan pumpkin seed brittle, thinly shaved brussels sprouts, leafy greens, tart dried cranberries, feta, and a simple balsamic vinaigrette! It makes for a beautiful addition to your holiday menu or any weeknight.
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 3 SnapDragon Apples, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shaved brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup vegan or regular feta
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
Pecan Pepita Brittle:
- 3/4 cup raw, unsalted pepitas
- 3/4 cup raw pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 275˚F and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir in the pecans and pumpkin seeds until well coated. Spread into an even layer onto a baking sheet. Bake for 35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven and let the brittle cool completely before breaking into bite-sized pieces.
- Brussels sprouts: you can either purchase pre-shredded brussels sprouts, or if you have a food processor with a shredder attachment, use that to shred them thinly.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients until well incorporated.
- Assemble salad with greens, brussels sprouts, dried cranberries, apple slices, feta, brittle and dressing. Enjoy fresh.
If you don’t want to to make the brittle, sub with 1 cup of salted, roasted nuts of choice (we love pepitas in this salad).
Brussels sprouts: since we're keeping them raw in this salad, you'll want them to be shredded very thinly, otherwise they will overpower the other flavors in this apple pecan salad. You can buy the brussels sprouts pre-shredded at most grocery stores, or use the shredder attachment on your food processor. If you don't have access to either option, a mandoline or a sharp knife (and some patience!) will do.
Storage: for best results, we suggest storing the dressing separately from the rest of the salad. If you are making this salad for meal prep/not eating right away, we also suggest waiting to add the apples until just before serving to avoid browning.
Prep ahead of time: you can easily make the balsamic vinaigrette and pecan brittle up to 3-4 days before serving this salad. Store both in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the salad.
Make it a full meal: consider adding your favorite protein (we like lentils, but if you're not vegan, try grilled chicken), and a grain like quinoa, farro or wild rice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 390
- Sugar: 28.6 g
- Sodium: 514.4 mg
- Fat: 23.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.8 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: apple pecan salad, balsamic vinaigrette