This homemade vegan salted caramel sauce is made with just four ingredients and comes together in less than 20 minutes! Perfect for using in baking recipes, on top of ice cream or giving as an edible gift.
- 1 cup coconut cream* (only use the solid cream layer; discard the liquid at the bottom of the can)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt (or fine grain kosher salt)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients on medium heat and stir until smooth and well incorporated.
- Bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer over low heat for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Don't worry if the caramel doesn't look thick right away. It thickens up much more as it cools.
- Transfer any leftovers to a container and refrigerate for up to a few weeks.
*Coconut cream is thicker and richer than coconut milk, so be sure to buy the right stuff (see photo in blog post). If you can't find any, you can use full fat coconut milk, but ONLY use the top layer of solid cream (not the liquid underneath).
To reheat, we suggest heating in a saucepan over low heat.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan salted caramel