This creamy pumpkin mac and cheese is vegan comfort food at its finest!
- 24 oz cooked elbow pasta
- 1 1/2 cups cup cashews, soaked 2-3 hours to soften
- 2 cups diced butternut (or acorn) squash
- 2/3 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 3/4-2 tsp harissa powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A few tbsp pasta water (reserve the water when pasta is finished cooking)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and cut squash into small chunks until you have 2 cups of squash. Toss squash in about 2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Roast until softened and slightly browned (about 20-22 minutes). When finished cooking, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Drain and rinse cashews before adding to a blender with cooled butternut squash, pumpkin, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, oil and spices. Stop a few times during blending to scrape mixture off sides of blender with a spatula. Blend until sauce is creamy and smooth.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. When draining, reserve a few tbsp of cooking water, which you can then add to sauce to loosen it up a bit. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and serve with crushed roasted chickpeas or breadcrumbs.
We love using crushed, roasted chickpeas as a "breadcrumb" topping on our mac and cheese! Store-bought is totally fine - just blitz them in a food processor or spice grinder for a few seconds.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American