This easy and elegant vegan crostini appetizer are topped with persimmon, mint and homemade dairy free whipped cheese. They’re the perfect festive holiday appetizer.
This post was originally sponsored by Carapelli Olive Oil. All opinions are our own.
We’re all about time-saving hacks during the holiday season. Whether it’s relying heavily on Amazon Prime for fast shipping or simply using make-ahead recipes whenever possible. This time of year seems busier than ever, and recipes like these plant-based crostini are keeping us sane.
These festive crostini are beautiful and tasty. We topped crunchy, crusty French bread with a spread of homemade vegan whipped goat cheese.
That got a topping of fresh persimmon, bright pomegranate seeds, crunchy nuts and a sprinkle of mint. The result is a red, white and green one-bite appetizer that your guests will love.
What is Crostini?
Crostini is an Italian word that refers to slices of toasted bread with toppings. They’re popular appetizers because they’re easy to make, pass and enjoy without getting your hands too messy.
The possibilities are pretty endless when it comes to topping your crostini.
Another, more wintery, favorite vegan crostini recipe is a rendition of our Wild Mushrooms on Toast. Simply swap out the toast for petite bread slices.
How to Make Vegan Crostini
Many traditional Italian crostini recipes rely on cheese. And just because we’re eating dairy-free doesn’t mean we’re going to skip out on everyones favorite crostini topping. These vegan crostini appetizers are full of delicious homemade plant-based whipped goat cheese.
Vegan Whipped Goat Cheese
The cheesy part of our vegan crostini couldn’t be easier. All you need is a good blender or food processor. Simply dump in your ingredients and whip them all up! Here’s what’s in our vegan whipped goat cheese topping:
We use dairy free cream cheese as the base for our vegan whipped cheese recipe. We love Kite Hill brand cream cheese. I recommend the plain version, since there are so many other delicious flavors in these vegan crostini appetizers.
For more cheesy goodness in our whipped goat cheese recipe, toss in some dairy free feta. Violife makes a good option.
The rest of the flavor in our whipped dairy free goat cheese crostini topping comes from high quality olive oil, a bit of sweetness and delicious alliums. We use maple syrup or honey, which pairs so well with cheese.
A dash of garlic and onion powder round out this savory dairy free whipped cheese topping.
You can make the cheese topping for these vegan crostini appetizers a day or two before serving. Simply store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble your appetizers.
Toast your Bread
While you’re whipping your vegan cheese topping, you can toast the crostini themselves. Simply slice a fresh baguette into 1/4 inch slices. You can cut them on the diagonal, or bias, for a bit more surface area and a nicer look.
Next, lay out the crostini on a baking sheet and brush each side with olive oil. This ensures a nice even browning for your crostini. You can also sprinkle them with salt and pepper, or simply add the salt and pepper directly into the olive oil and brush on.
Finally, pop the crostini into the oven for 7 to 10 minutes, until they’re golden and toasty.
Assemble the Vegan Crostini Appetizers
Now that you have your homemade vegan whipped crostini topping and the toasted crostini, it’s assembly time. Before you get spreading, have the rest of the toppings on hand.
We top our vegan crostini appetizers with fresh persimmon slices, pomegranate seeds and toasted nuts. We love hazelnuts, but pistachios, walnuts or almonds would all work. Or, if you’re nut-free, simply skip them.
First, give each toasted crostini a generous spread of vegan whipped cheese topping. Then, layer on a persimmon slice. Top it all off with a sprinkle of pom seeds, nuts, fresh mint for color, and a drizzle of olive oil for shine.
Ingredient Subs and Swaps
To make these easy, one-bowl appetizer work for everyone, here are some simple swaps:
- If you’re not dairy free, you can use real cream cheese and feta for the crostini topping.
- Gluten free bread will work just as well as the French bread. Simply cut it into similar sized squares, toast and top!
- If you can’t find persimmons, pears, apples, or figs would also work well.
- If you’re not a fan of mint, fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme or another fragrant herb is a great substitution.
More Vegan Appetizer Recipes
- Roasted Carrot Eggplant Tahini Dip
- Vegan Jalapeño Poppers
- Vegan Two-Bite Stuffed Mushrooms
- Roasted Carrot Dip
- Vegan Sweet and Spicy Nuts
Enjoy this easy, make ahead holiday appetizer this year and be sure to let us know if you make the recipe! Tag us on Instagram @crowded_kitchen. We can’t wait to see what you make!Print
These easy and elegant vegan whipped cheese and pomegranate crostini are topped with persimmon, mint and homemade dairy free whipped cheese. They’re the perfect festive holiday appetizer.
- 1 7-oz container dairy free cream cheese
- 1 7-oz container dairy free feta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Pepper to taste
- 1–1½ tbsp mint, very finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 baguette or other crusty white bread cut into rounds on the bias
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1–2 persimmons, sliced into rounds and then cut in half
- Pomegranate seeds from 1 fruit
- Chopped nuts of choice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend all of the ingredients except for the mint. When the mixture is blended and creamy, use a spatula to scoop it into a bowl. Stir in the desired amount of chopped mint.
- Brush the bread slices on both sides with olive oil and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toast until lightly browned, about 7-10 minutes.
- Top the crostini with with whipped goat cheese, a slice of persimmon, pomegranate seeds, chopped nuts, more mint, a drizzle of olive oil, and a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Time saving tip: Make whipped feta up to a day ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.