This tofu veggie stir fry with spicy sesame peanut sauce is an awesome recipe for a very fresh and delicious week-night dinner.
Wednesday night has been declared stir fry night in our house – mostly because it’s incredibly easy to throw together without too much prep, but also because it’s always delicious! Especially perfect for mid-week. We prep both a vegan + gluten free version & chicken + soba noodle version so the boys have a full meal, but apart from those two differences, we keep the veggies and sauce the same. Here’s what this week’s prep looked like:
From the top left to bottom right, we have boy choy, kale sprouts, snow peas, zucchini, cilantro, black sesame seeds, spiralized purple sweet potato, five spice tofu, peanut sauce, sunflower sprouts, chicken, green onion, broccolini, peanuts and spiralized kohlrabi. If you’d like to keep things simpler, simply choose three or four veggies plus a protein and go with it. We already had all of these ingredients on hand, so figured we might as well clean out the fridge a bit!
Don’t skip the homemade peanut sauce – it’s addictive! We make ours with fresh minced ginger and garlic, sesame oil, peanut butter, tamari, sriracha, red pepper flakes, and some black sesame seeds. The rest of the recipe is one of those no-recipe recipes – we’ve included basic instructions but most people prefer to customize anyways!
Look at these recipes for more genius dinner ideas like this tofu veggie stir fry:Print
We love that you can make this stir fry completely vegan, or you can add in chicken or shrimp for family members that prefer meat.
Spicy Peanut Sauce:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced or grated
- 1 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
- Optional: 1-3 tbsp warm water to thin out
For stir fry:
- 1 14oz. package extra firm tofu, drained or 1 lb. chicken breast
- 2 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 1 purple sweet potato, spiralized
- 1 large kohlrabi, peeled and spiralized
- (For gluten version, substitute above 2 ingredients with cooked soba noodles)
- 1 cup trimmed broccoli or broccolini
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- 1 cup bok choy, sliced into ribbons
- Salt & pepper to taste
- For garnish: Sprouts, cilantro, black sesame seeds, chopped peanuts, radish, limes
- Whisk all sauce ingredients in small bowl until well combined. Taste and adjust spices as needed. If you prefer a thinner sauce (we like ours on the thick side), stir in 1 tbsp warm water at a time until you reach desire consistency. Set aside.
- Heat wok or large skillet over high heat. Add 1 tbsp sesame oil to wok with tofu (or chicken). Stir fry until about 6-8 minutes or until browned. (If using chicken, until chicken cooked all the way through). We often add a touch of tamari to help browning process.
- Remove tofu or chicken, place in bowl and set aside. Add remaining tsp of oil, spiralized purple sweet potato, kohlrabi, broccoli, snow peas and zucchini. Cook until all veggies softened.
- Add tofu/chicken back in wok and add peanut sauce. Stir well to coat all veggies. Add in green onion and bok choy, finish cooking until boy choy is softened. Remove from wok and serve garnished with crushed peanuts, sprouts, cilantro, black sesame seeds, radish and limes.