I feel like I say this way too often, but I really need to work on my meal prep skills. Even though we spend most of our day working at home (and specifically in the kitchen), we’re often so busy that we forget to eat lunch and just end up snacking randomly. By the time 3PM rolls around, we’re hungry, tired, and wishing we hadn’t had leftover cookies for an afternoon snack!
Meal prepping is useful for just about anyone – we personally need to prep more to stay on track with healthy, regular eating on busy days. If you work in an office, have busy/stressful mornings and/or are trying to eat out less, meal prepping is definitely the way to go. There are infinite ways to get creative with lunch, especially – it doesn’t just have to be roasted veggies, some kind of protein, and a plain banana.
These Taco Stuffed Avocados are the perfect example of an easy recipe that’s suited for meal prep and will actually make you excited to eat lunch (although who are we kidding, I’m always excited to eat anything!). The vegan taco filling is packed with plant protein and healthy fats in the form of quinoa and walnuts, and tons of flavor. Simply make a batch of the filling, pack it up along with a ripe avocado, and come lunch, you can assemble everything in about 60 seconds!
I think we can all agree that the best part of this recipe is the avocado, right? We’re excited to be partnering with Del Monte Fresh Produce to share this recipe featuring their avocados – see photo evidence below for how perfect they are!
We’ve been using a whole lot of Del Monte avocados lately – in sandwiches, dips, a lightened version of chocolate mousse, on top of these nachos (my fave!) and of course, to make huge batches of guacamole that we eat in one sitting. What’s your favorite way to use avocados? We’ll always love the humble (yet often overcomplicated) avocado toast, but it’s so much more versatile than that. If you’ve never tried adding half of a ripe avocado to your smoothie, do it tomorrow and thank us later. Such a great way to get an extra boost of satiating, healthy fats and a perfectly creamy texture.
If you’d like to keep it simple for this recipe, the filling and avocado are a perfect pair on their own, but we also love adding some pickled red onion, tomatoes (or salsa), fresh herbs, and occasionally a dollop of vegan sour cream as toppings. However you choose to enjoy these stuffed avocados, we’re sure you’ll love them and we hope they inspire you to think outside the box when it comes to meal prepping!Print
These Vegan Taco Stuffed Avocados are the perfect example of an easy recipe that’s suited for meal prep and will actually make you excited to eat lunch!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp agave
- 2–4 Del Monte Fresh Avocados
- For topping: sliced tomatoes or salsa, pickled red onion, green onion, cilantro, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- In a sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan (including cooked quinoa) and let simmer until broth has reduced.
- To assemble avocado boats, carefully sliced avocado in half, remove pit, and scoop out a little bit of avocado to make the hole slightly wider. Fill with taco filling, top with sliced tomatoes or salsa, herbs, vegan sour cream, cheese, etc.
- If you plan on making this ahead of time and bring to work for lunch, pack the filling in a separate container and don’t slice the avocado until ready to eat. Enjoy!
Keywords: meal prep, vegan meal prep, gluten free meal prep, low carb