This homemade Rhubarb Vanilla Chia Compote is sweetened with agave nectar instead of refined cane sugar! It's delicious stirred into yogurt, oatmeal, on toast, or over vanilla ice cream. The perfect way to make use of everyone's favorite Spring produce.
- 5 cups rhubarb, chopped roughly
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste (or beans from one vanilla bean pod)
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Add all ingredients except chia seeds to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir well and gently mash rhubarb.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, until liquid has reduced a bit and rhubarb is completely softened.
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before transferring to a jar or storage container. Keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Optional: if you'd like, you can use 4 cups of rhubarb and 1 cup of strawberries for a sweeter flavor.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rhubarb chia compote