Homemade beet harissa hummus brings this vegetable-centric bagel sandwich together.
- 1 Canyon Gluten Free Everything Bagel
- 4 tbsp beet harissa hummus (recipe below)
- Purple cabbage
- Heirloom Tomatoes
Beet Harissa Hummus:
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas (drain, reserve liquid)
- 3 small cooked beets
- 5 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1–2 tbsp harissa paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1–3 tbsp reserved chickpea liquid (for consistency)
- Add chickpeas, beets and tahini to a food processor or blender and blend for about 10 seconds. Add lemon juice, salt, garlic and harissa and blend about 30 seconds. You may need to scrape down the sides of processor with a spatula.
- Slowly stream in olive oil, and finish with chickpea liquid until you reach desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Store in airtight container in fridge for a week.
- To assemble sandwich, spread each bagel half with hummus, and layer with sliced purple cabbage, sliced cucumber, spinach, tomatoes, etc. Enjoy!
After testing many batches of hummus, we’ve actually found that a blender usually makes much creamier hummus than a food processor.