Before trying this peach blueberry panzanella salad, I never quite understood the appeal of panzanella. It's a salad that traditionally includes stale, dried bread, tomatoes, and a number of other ingredients. Sounds a bit strange, right? Bread salad? We're here to tell you that it's really quite delicious, and you need to try it ASAP! Especially this month while tomatoes are perfectly ripe and in season.
This post is sponsored by Canyon Bakehouse. All opinions are our own.
For this peach-blueberry take on panzanella, we skipped the stale bread part. Instead, we toasted gluten-free bread in the oven. That helped us achieve a satisfyingly crunchy texture and a lot more flavor. We used Canyon Gluten Free Heritage Style Whole Grain.
It's our favorite choice for making croutons in the oven. The bread is hearty and delicious on its own, and even better drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper before a quick toast. Check out their store locator to see where you can find a loaf nearby!
Traditional panzanella ingredients include tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, olive oil, vinegar and sometimes basil. However, we added a few seasonal extras, including fresh, ripe peaches, juicy blueberries, and avocado to round everything out.
Give this peach blueberry panzanella salad a try before summer produce is gone!Print
We love this twist on a panzanella salad using our favorite summer produce and gluten free toasted bread!
- 8 slices Canyon Gluten Free Heritage Style Whole Grain Bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ripe peaches
- ½ cup roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 cup arugula
White Wine Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp minced shallots
- 1 ½ tsp honey or agave
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Slice bread into quarters. Toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil + a bit of salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip slices and return to oven for 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, slice peaches, tomatoes, cucumber and avocado. Add to a bowl with blueberries, arugula and toasted bread.
- Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients until well incorporated.
- Toss salad with a few tbsps of the vinaigrette (you can always add more if desired). Garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy!
Feel free to substitute peaches for nectarines or apricots!
- Category: Salad
- Method: No cook
- Cuisine: Italian