This creamy vegan mac and cheese is 100% nut-free, dairy-free and packed with veggies.
- 12 oz pasta, gluten free if necessary
- 1½ cups cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1½ cups yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered and sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- ⅓ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1¼ tsp sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tsp pepper
- ½ tbsp agave
- ¾–1 cup water from pasta for blending
Suggested, for topping:
- Italian bread crumbs, gluten free if necessary
- Shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- Shredded vegan parmesan
- Cracked salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375. In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, potatoes, squash, onions, and garlic. Drizzle with half of the olive oil and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Roast until softened, about 30-35 minutes, stirring several times.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in well salted water* according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining and return the cooked pasta to the pot, off of the heat.
- Once veggies are cooked, add them, along with the rest of the ingredients except for the remaining olive oil and the water to a blender. Use only as much pasta water as you need to blend to reach the desired consistency. Blend until smooth and creamy, then slowly add in the remaining olive oil with the motor running.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and stir well to coat and pour into a baking dish.
- Top with bread crumbs, shredded mozzarella, and parm. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and pasta is heated through. To serve, top with freshly chopped parsley and a few cracks of fresh pepper and sea salt.
*Salt the water 1 tsp for every 4 cups.
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese, vegan nut-free mac and cheese, nut-free mac and cheese, mac and cheese, macaroni and cheese