These spicy black bean vegan nachos are loaded up with all of our favorite fixings: avocado, pickled onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, vegan cheese, radishes and cilantro!
Spicy black beans:
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 of a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced finely
- 1/2 tbsp of adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
- 1 can black beans, drain a little bit of the liquid but not all
- 1 large bag yellow corn tortilla chips of choice
- 8 oz vegan cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pickled red onion
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thinly
- 3 radishes, sliced thinly
- 1 avocado, diced
- Cilantro and green onion
Spicy black beans:
- In a small pot, sauté onion in a bit of neutral oil until softened – about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for a minute or two until garlic is softened and fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, cumin, paprika, salt and chipotles in adobo. Stir well, then add black beans. Let simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend mixture – we usually just pulse it a few times so there are still some larger pieces of black beans. It doesn’t need to be a purée. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can mash with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cover a sheet pan with a layer of chips – just enough to cover the pan. Add dollops of black bean mixture evenly across chips – only use about half. Add an even layer of cheese (Again, about half).
- Repeat this step, using the remaining chips, beans and cheese. Add about half of your other toppings, leaving out the avocado and herbs.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, garnish with remaining toppings and dig in!
We learned a super quick pickled red onion recipe a few years ago that works perfectly for these nachos: Slice a red onion very thinly, place in a bowl and toss in the juice of 2 small limes + about 1 tbsp salt. Let sit for an hour or two before using.