These loaded vegan nachos have all the fixings: homemade spicy black beans, vegan cheese, tomatoes, jalapeño, pickled onion, radishes, avocado, cilantro and green onion. Perfect for a game day snack!
I'm not embarrassed to admit that my parents and I devoured nearly this entire tray of vegan black bean nachos for lunch after the photo shoot (which was very difficult, considering how good they looked!).
There are many amazing vegan cheeses that my dad, who is not vegan, didn't even miss the dairy. We used these vegan cheddar-style shreds.
The key to great black bean nachos is even distribution of ingredients. Here's how we do it:
- Start with just enough chips to cover one even layer of the sheet pan.
- Add dollops of the spicy black beans - it doesn't have to be everywhere, but try to make it even.
- Cover with a layer of vegan cheese (don't skimp, people - cheese is the best part!)
- Repeat! Another layer of chips, more beans, more cheese.
- Now add about half of your other toppings: jalapeños, tomatoes, radishes, pickled onion. Skip the avocado and herbs before the oven.
- Everything else gets added after it comes out of the oven.
Following these steps ensures equal distribution of all ingredients, so every nacho bite gets beans, cheese, and plenty of toppings. There's nothing worse than getting to the bottom of the nachos to find a layer of soggy tortilla chips!
We love the spicy black beans in these nachos. They're my go-to taco filling and I make it at least a few times per month! It stores well in the fridge, so I usually make a double or triple batch and save the rest for a quick lunch with some avocado and rice.
Nachos aren't just for Friday nights or Super Bowl parties - give them a try for a quick weeknight dinner!Print
These spicy black bean vegan nachos are loaded up with all of our favorite fixings: avocado, pickled onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, vegan cheese, radishes and cilantro!
Spicy black beans:
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ of a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced finely
- ½ tbsp of adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
- 1 can black beans, drain a little bit of the liquid but not all
- 1 large bag yellow corn tortilla chips of choice
- 8 oz vegan cheddar cheese
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup pickled red onion
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thinly
- 3 radishes, sliced thinly
- 1 avocado, diced
- Cilantro and green onion
Spicy black beans:
- In a small pot, sauté onion in a bit of neutral oil until softened - about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for a minute or two until garlic is softened and fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, cumin, paprika, salt and chipotles in adobo. Stir well, then add black beans. Let simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend mixture - we usually just pulse it a few times so there are still some larger pieces of black beans. It doesn't need to be a purée. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can mash with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cover a sheet pan with a layer of chips - just enough to cover the pan. Add dollops of black bean mixture evenly across chips - only use about half. Add an even layer of cheese (Again, about half).
- Repeat this step, using the remaining chips, beans and cheese. Add about half of your other toppings, leaving out the avocado and herbs.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, garnish with remaining toppings and dig in!
We learned a super quick pickled red onion recipe a few years ago that works perfectly for these nachos: Slice a red onion very thinly, place in a bowl and toss in the juice of 2 small limes + about 1 tablespoon salt. Let sit for an hour or two before using.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 822.4 mg
- Fat: 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.2 g
- Fiber: 11.3 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan nachos