It’s been a while (like, a year) since we published a new taco recipe, which is funny considering we make tacos at least once a week. (Very dedicated to taco Tuesday in our house.)
I don’t typically follow a recipe when I’m just cooking for myself and my husband – I usually make him some spicy ground beef, while I make myself some healthier version of refried beans and we both top ours with homemade guacamole, cheese (regular for him, vegan for me) and occasionally, if I’m up for it, pickled onion or salsa. Simple, easy, get’s the job done – but it also gets kinda boring week after week, so this year, we’re working on trying some new recipes.
This lentil/mushroom/walnut filling is a favorite because it has that meaty quality that makes tacos so satisfying. The filling is delicious enough to eat on its own, too – you can pack it up in a bowl with your favorite fixings and make a quick taco bowl for the next day’s lunch.
Roasted sweet potatoes are a great addition, and instead of salsa, we added a quick-pickled purple cabbage for a crunchy, tangy topping. And, of course, it’s not a taco without some form of avocado, so homemade (or store bought) guac is a must.
If you’re like our family and have to prep meals for meat eaters and non-meat eaters, it’s easy to adapt the base of this recipe for both options. Simply split the ingredients between two pans and add ground beef to one, and the lentils/mushrooms/walnuts to another. Yes, it makes more dishes to clean, but at the end of the day, everyone is happy and gets to enjoy delicious tacos.
Cheers to Taco Tuesday!
Even the carnivores in your family won’t miss the meat in these flavorful vegan tacos. Roasted sweet potatoes add some extra flavor, and crunchy marinated cabbage + guacamole are a must!
Roasted sweet potatoes:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
Lentil Walnut Filling:
- 4 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cooked lentils (cooked according to package directions)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp agave
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 cups spinach (optional)
Lime Marinated Cabbage:
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Toss diced sweet potato in olive oil + spice mixture and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until completely tender.
Lentil Walnut Filling:
- Cook lentils according to package directions.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt butter and add onion and bell pepper. Sauté about 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Add mushrooms and continue to cook until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well and sauté until spinach is wilted.
- Massage the cabbage in lime juice and salt and let sit 15-20 minutes. It will soften and start to turn bright pink.
- Use your favorite corn tortillas and top with lentil walnut mixture, sweet potatoes, cabbage, and your favorite guacamole.
If you have a tree nut allergy, you can substitute walnuts with sunflower seeds, which have a similar texture.