These lemon poppyseed waffles are delicious with a homemade blueberry maple syrup and lemon zest vanilla coconut whipped cream. Just about the best Sunday brunch we can imagine!
We've been working on a gluten free, vegan waffle recipe for a while (I really mean a while...over a year!). And we finally nailed it with this recipe. Vegan yogurt helps a lot with consistency. It makes the waffles fluffy instead of the strange elastic texture that can easily happen with gluten-free baked goods.
We also absolutely recommend cooking these on the highest setting in your waffle maker. Unlike regular waffles, it really takes a lot of heat to achieve a crisp exterior that makes waffles, well...waffles! It's also important to place these lemon poppyseed waffles on a cooling rack after removing them from the waffle maker if they will not be immediately consumed. Otherwise, steam will make them soggy again. Once they cool completely, you can transfer the waffles to a freezer safe container and freeze for future use! Talk about a delicious breakfast meal prep, and say goodbye to Eggos!
If you're not a fan of lemon poppyseed in your waffles, you can definitely leave those ingredients out. You won't risk compromising the structural integrity of the recipe. We just think lemon, poppyseed and blueberry taste great together. Paired with a blueberry maple syrup and lemon zest whipped cream, this is a restaurant-worthy, decadent brunch!Print
These lemon poppyseed waffles are best served with a homemade blueberry maple syrup and lemon zest vanilla coconut whipped cream. *heart eyes*
- 1 ¾ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups nondairy milk of choice
- ½ cup vegan vanilla yogurt of choice
- ⅔ cup applesauce
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 4 tbsp agave
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed soaked in 3 tbsp water for 10 mins)
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp poppyseed
Blueberry Maple Syrup:
- 1 ½ cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Lemon Zest Vanilla Whipped Cream:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight (use the fat solids only, discard the liquid at bottom)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, xanthan gum and salt. In another bowl, beat or whisk together all remaining ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry and whisk or stir until well incorporated.
- Pour desired amount into waffle maker, set to highest heat setting. If not plating immediately, let cool on a cooling rack - NOT a flat surface. (Otherwise the steam will make them soggy).
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients over medium heat. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool and enjoy warm or transfer to glass container and store in refrigerator for 1 week.
- Scoop fat layer from can and add to mixing bowl with lemon zest and vanilla. Beat on high for 2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat for additional 30 seconds. Enjoy immediately or place in refrigerator to keep cool.
The whipped cream works best when the can of coconut milk has been refrigerated overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American