This vegan vanilla sheet cake with vanilla buttercream frosting is perfect for a patriotic July 4th dessert! Topped with homemade red, white and blue vegan meringues, it's a real showstopper.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup vegan creamer or nut milk
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar (more if needed for texture)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Optional: 2-3 tbsp almond or coconut milk if needed
- Follow these instructions
- Red and blue food coloring
- Set out butter, applesauce, creamer, and lemon for 30 minutes to warm to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 335˚F. Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together gluten free flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream butter with an electric mixture until light and fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
- Add in a quarter of the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated. Add another quarter of the flour, then add the applesauce and mix until well combined. Add in remaining flour in two batches.
- Add in the lemon juice and creamer/milk and mix just until the batter comes together.
- Pour into cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add in powdered sugar until completely incorporated. Add in vanilla and almond milk if needed to thin it out.
- Set aside about 1/2 cup of frosting. Use the rest to evenly frost the top of the sheet cake.
- Follow these instructions, but before piping, divide the batter into thirds. Color one third red, one third blue and keep the other third white. Pipe the red and white stars into the same-sized shape. Pipe the blue meringues into smaller stars.
- To assemble the cake, start by arranging the blue meringues in a rectangle or square in the top left corner of the cake. Then, arrange the red and white meringues in rows. You should get anywhere between 5-7 rows, depending on how big your meringues are.
- Finally, use your leftover buttercream to pipe small stars between the blue meringues. Store in refrigerator until serving.
If you don't want to make the meringues, make a double batch of frosting, divide into thirds, color red white & blue and pipe on top of cake.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 542
- Sugar: 68.1 g
- Sodium: 433.2 mg
- Fat: 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 93.8 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: july 4th sheet cake