We developed this gluten free all purpose flour blend after researching the various types of flours and what they’re best used for. This works well in cookies, cakes, cupcakes, muffins, breads, etc. We’ll always be sure to note if we used something different in each recipe.
- 12 oz (2 cups + 2 tbsp) white rice flour
- 4 oz (2/3 cup) brown rice flour
- 3 oz (1/2 cup) potato starch
- 1 1/2 oz (1/4 cup + 2 tbsp) tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp powdered coconut milk
- Weigh each ingredient separately, then whisk together until well-incorporated. Store in airtight container in pantry for up to 8 months.
- Xanthan gum is popular in many gluten free flour blends because of its ability to thicken and bind. We have found that it doesn’t work well in every recipe, so we’ve omitted it from this blend. In some of our recipes, we’ll note to add xanthan gum to the dry mix if necessary, but more often than not, we’ve found we don’t need it for a recipe to succeed.
- The only substitution we’ve had success with in this recipe is swapping powdered coconut for powdered soy milk. They work equally well – we just prefer coconut. You can order both online via Amazon or other retailers. Since the recipe doesn’t call for much, one canister will last you several months.
- If you don’t have a kitchen scale to weight the flours, we suggest scooping flour into a measuring cup with a spoon and then gently leveling off. If you pack the flour into the measuring cup, the quantities will be significantly different than we’ve indicated here.
Keywords: gluten free flour blend, all purpose gluten free flour