This hearty vegan chili is best when it has a few hours to simmer on the stove. Yum!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 jalapeño deseeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup of acorn squash, diced
- 28 oz can/box of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable stock, more if necessary
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1–2 tsp of maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt, adjust to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or more if desired
- 1 cup baby spinach, just before serving
- Optional: 2 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
- Melt coconut oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Sauté minced garlic, jalapeño, and onion for 5-7 min or until translucent.
- Add rest of vegetables, with the exception of the squash. Add chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, cayenne and maple and stir to coast veggies.
- Sauté for a few minutes before adding in tomatoes, vegetable broth, tomato paste and lentils. Let simmer for 30 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Add in squash cubes and cacao and let simmer until veggies are fork tender.
- Just before serving, throw in a couple handfuls of baby spinach and stir to wilt.
- Spoon chili into bowls and top with sliced avocado, radishes, cheese, crispy roasted lentils, or whatever else your heart desires!