Gingerbread cookies are always a holiday favorite! These delicious Gingerbread sandwich cookies with hot cocoa filling are a great way to spend an evening by the fireplace.
We partnered with OMG Superfoods this month to create a recipe featuring their Turmeric Hot Chocolate Mix. After a few trials, we landed on sandwich cookies. Moist, chewy (& healthier) gingerbread cookies sandwich a cashew cream filling infused with turmeric hot cocoa powder, which are then dipped into melted dark chocolate. After a quick trip to the freezer/fridge, you’ll have a delicious, relatively nutritious holiday treat! (Best served with hot cocoa, of course.)
Cashew cream, when done right, rivals even the most decadent regular pastry cream (well, at least in our opinion!). The key to a perfect batch of cashew cream is using a very high speed blender. For best results, use a smaller blender jar. We use this fantastic high speed Twister Jar that attaches to our regular BlendTec base. If you don’t have access to a high speed blender, just be sure to soak the cashews for a sufficient amount of time. In addition, take your time blending & frequently scrape the sides of the blender to ensure even texture.
Although the chocolate dipping is optional, we highly encourage it. If you do dip the cookies in chocolate, be sure to store them in the refrigerator to prevent a melty mess.
Now, head over to OMG Superfoods & get 15% off your order of Hot Chocolate + 1 other item by using the code: CHOCOLATE. Most of their products are certified organic (a huge win!), plant-based & free of anything artificial. We especially love their selection of plant-based protein powders. Especially their organic pumpkin seed protein that we used to make these cookies last month!
Also, for more cookies this holiday season take a look at these recipes:Print
Best served with a mug of hot cocoa!
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 5 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup softened (but not melted) coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond or cashew milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax powder soaked in 4 tbsp water for 10 mins)
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 2 tbsp pure cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Hot Cocoa Cashew Cream Filling:
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in cold water for 4–6 hours, or hot water for 1–2 hours
- 4 1/2 tbsp softened coconut oil
- 4 1/2 tbsp OMG Superfoods Turmeric Hot Chocolate Powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Large pinch of sea salt
- 1–1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix flax eggs and set aside to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk/stir together all dry ingredients well.
- Incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredients in three batches, mixing well between each new addition.
- Refrigerate for 10 mins before scooping onto greased cookie sheet. Lightly flatten with a fork or the bottom of a measuring cup (they will not spread much in the oven). Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes (do not over-bake or they will be dry). Let cool completely before piping with cream (you can pop them in the fridge or freezer to speed up this process.
- Soak cashews according to above instructions. Once they’re finished soaking, drain and rinse well. (Cashews tend to swell when soaked, so be sure to re-measure quantity.)
- Add all ingredients to high speed blender & blend until smooth (this may take a few minutes and some patience!). The texture should be silky and smooth without noticeable clumps or grains of cashew.
- Spoon mixture into a pastry bag (or plastic bag if you don’t have anything reusable), snip the corner, and pipe a generous amount on one cookie. Make a sandwich with another cookie.
- Optional: Melt 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips with 1 tbsp coconut oil and dip cookies in chocolate. Refrigerate or freeze for 10 mins to harden. Enjoy!
This post was sponsored by OMG Superfoods. All opinions expressed are our own.