This hearty five bean vegetable soup is full of plant protein.
- 2 1/2 cups dried beans – we used 1/2 cup each of garbanzo, kidney, navy, pinto and black beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 12 oz crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chopped greens (spinach and kale)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 3/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Optional: 1/2 lb. chorizo
- Rinse 2 1/2 cups mixed beans well. In a large pot, cover beans with water (3 + inches above beans) and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let soak for 1-1.5 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil to medium-high. Sauté diced onion and garlic 5-6 minutes, or until translucent and slightly softened, stirring frequently.
- (If adding chorizo, sauté over medium heat in a separate pan. When finished cooking, remove from heat.)
- Add diced carrots, celery and zucchini to onion and garlic mixture. Sauté additional 6-7 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add soaked beans, broth, tomatoes, all spices and chorizo (if using). Simmer for approximately 45 minutes, or until all ingredients are fork tender. Stir in chopped greens about 5 minutes before soup is ready. (Be sure to remove bay leaves at end)
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!