This Cinnamon Coconut French Toast has everything you love about classic french toast, sans the gluten and dairy!
For whatever reason, french toast always sounds like a daunting task. But every time we expend the extra effort to make it, we're pleasantly surprised by how easy it is! And finally we've perfected the dairy-free recipe for french toast. We've been working on a vegan french toast batter recipe for a while, and we finally got it just right.
A key to this recipe is letting the gluten-free bread dry out for a few hours, or even better, overnight. When you get up in the morning, simply whisk together a few easy ingredients and heat up your griddle! Much simpler than pancakes or waffles from scratch (and less of a mess).
There are all sorts of fancy ways to spruce of your french toast. However, all this simple version needs is fresh berries, chopped nuts (we love hazelnuts!) and plenty of maple syrup. Sunday brunch just got a whole lot better!Print
Everything you love about classic french toast, sans the gluten and dairy!
- 10 slices bread of choice (we used gluten free)
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch sea salt
- Arrange 10 slices of Canyon Gluten Free Mountain White Bread on a cooling rack and let dry out overnight. (This produces best results, though if you don't have time, you can skip this step.)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together coconut milk, ground chia, vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup and sea salt.
- Heat large pan to medium.
- Soak each slice of bread for about 40 seconds on each side.
- Lightly grease pan with coconut oil or butter and cook one to two slices at a time until golden brown and slightly crispy on each side (approx. 3-4 mins on each side).
- Serve with sliced bananas, berries, chopped nuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop