A buttery shortbread crust + pecan caramel filling + dark chocolate = dessert heaven!
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (solid, but softened)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup melted dairy free chocolate chips + 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Flaky sea salt for topping
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients on low heat and stir until smooth and well incorporated.
- Bring to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool while making shortbread.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, cream coconut oil and sugar with hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add flour and mix for 10-15 seconds, or until a crumb texture forms.
- Knead dough until it forms into a ball and you can pinch the dough without it crumbling.
- Press dough into bottom of pan and slightly up the sides. Perforate with fork in a few areas before baking.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, stir chopped pecans into caramel mixture. When shortbread is cooled, pour caramel/pecan mixture over shortbread.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before slicing into bars. Drizzle with chocolate & a pinch of flakey salt after cutting. Enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven