These vegan chickpea salad stuffed avocados are an easy and great handheld snack to pack in your daily lunch for work!
This vegan chickpea salad is AMAZING on its own or sandwiched between your favorite bread, but we love serving it in a ripe avocado for some extra healthy fat and a more-fun-than-average lunch.
Instead of using a vegan mayo, we made a tangy, light cashew sauce to bind the salad. Miso, apple cider vinegar & mustard give it that addictive zing you’re looking for in this kind of salad.
This weekend at Expo West, we sampled the most incredible vegan tuna substitute ever: Good Catch Foods! They’re releasing their line of all vegan products later this year and we can’t wait to try their “tuna” with this sauce. Instead of using soy or strange ingredients you can’t pronounce, their products are made from a 6 bean blend. We love their tagline: “Nothing fishy about it.”. When it comes to texture, taste and ingredient quality, they’re most definitely the best on the market. Check them out to stay updated on their 2018 product release! (This is not at all sponsored – just a super cool vegan company that we love!)
For more recipes like these vegan chickpea salad stuffed avocados, check these out:
Now onto the recipe…Print
This is the perfect make-ahead lunch – if you’d prefer something a bit more substantial, sandwich the filling between bread spread with mashed avocado!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 1 hour in hot water or 2–4 in room temp water
- 1 tsp miso
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 16. oz can chickpeas, strained
- 1/3 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbsp chives
- 2 tbsp green onion
- 2 tbsp spinach (chiffonade)
- 2 ripe avocados
- Soak cashews for 1 hour in hot water or 2-4 hours in room temp water. Drain and rinse cashews.
- Add cashews, miso, water, lemon juice, ACV, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper to blender. Blend until starts to form a smooth paste.
- Slowly stream in olive oil and continue blending until smooth. Taste and adjust spices as needed.
- Dice cucumbers, celery, chives, green onion and spinach. Add to bowl with shredded carrot, chickpeas and sunflower seeds. Add about 1/2 cup of sauce to bowl and coat evenly with spatula. Add more sauce if desired or save the rest as a dipping sauce for vegetables.
- Serve in 1/2 of a ripe avocado. (Optional) Garnish with pickled red onion, herbs and crunchy roasted chickpeas. Enjoy!