These cheesy hasselback potatoes are your new vegan game day go-to! Topped with vegan sour cream and chives, because yum.
- 6 russet potatoes, washed and patted dry
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package Tomato Cayenne Chao Slices, cut into small rectangles
- For topping: vegan sour cream, chives
- Preheat oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice a thin layer off base of potato so it lays flat on the cutting board. Using a very sharp knife, cut thin vertical slices in the potato, being careful not to cut all the way through the potato. You can place chopsticks on either side of the potato to help prevent this.
- Repeat with all potatoes.
- Brush potatoes liberally with olive oil (reserve about half). Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with remaining olive oil – try to get it in between the slices. Sprinkle with a little more salt.
- Return to oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully insert cheese slices between some of the potato slices – we put about 10 small cheese slices in each potato.
- Return to oven for 5-7 minutes, remove when cheese is melty and slightly crispy.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then enjoy with vegan sour cream and fresh chives.
-It’s important to use a very sharp knife – a dull knife will make this very difficult and tedious.
-We use a silicon basting/pastry brush to brush the olive oil on the potatoes and it works well.
Keywords: easy, Super Bowl, game day, winter