These vegan and gluten free carrot cake cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting are to die for. Perfectly moist, fluffy and flavorful and topped with a creamy, tangy vegan cream cheese frosting. Way easier than making a layer cake, and equally delicious!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened but not melted
- 3/4 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 2 flax “eggs” (1 tbsp flax seed meal to 2.5 tbsp water per “egg”)
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend (read notes below)
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum (do not add if store-bought blend already contains it)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup shredded sweet potato
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- Optional: 3/4 cup regular or golden raisins
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened to room temp
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line cupcake tins with liners.
- Make flax “eggs” by stirring together flax meal and water and let sit 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, use a hand (or stand mixer) to beat together coconut oil, applesauce, flax eggs, both sugars and vanilla. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet.
- Stir in shredded carrot, sweet potato, hemp seeds, nuts and raisins if using. Let batter sit for 20 minutes, then portion into tins and bake for 24-27 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make frosting by beating all ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Wait to frost cupcakes until they are completely cooled, otherwise the frosting will melt.
If you don’t use our gluten free flour blend recipe, we suggest this brand. If you use another brand of gluten free all purpose flour, read the label and check for xanthan gum. If the blend already contains xanthan gum, don’t add the extra amount indicated in this recipe.
You can substitute sweet potato with more shredded carrot if desired.