This is one of our most popular recipes for good reason – you can’t go wrong with avocado, pesto, vegan mozzarella, and juicy heirloom tomatoes sandwiched between perfectly grilled bread!
- 4 slices Canyon Gluten Free Heritage Style Whole Grain Bread
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 oz vegan mozzarella style cheese (or regular mozzarella if not dairy free)
- 4 tbsp basil pesto (recipe below)
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1–2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Combine all ingredients except olive oil in food processor or blender.
- Pulse a few times to combine, and then begin slowly streaming olive oil in while processor is on. Process until you reach desired texture.
- If using a panini grill heat to medium and lightly brush one side of bread with olive oil. Place olive oil side down on grill, spread a layer of pesto, then tomatoes, mozzarella, avocado, and another slice of bread spread with more pesto, and brushed with olive oil on opposite side. Close panini press and grill for approximately 3-5 minutes, or until bread is toasted and interior is warmed.
- If using regular pan, follow same instructions, but use a smaller pan lid to lightly compress the sandwich while it’s cooking. Flip sandwich carefully halfway through cook time.