If you’ve never roasted fruit, trust us on this one and do it immediately! Roasting really intensifies the flavor, so it’s especially great when you have super fresh, seasonal berries. High quality balsamic vinegar is a fantastic pairing for strawberries, but they’d be great without as well.
We used a vegan almond-based ricotta for the base (regular ricotta works just fine if you are not dairy free) and mint chiffonade for a refreshing finish. Most importantly – the bread! We partnered with Canyon Gluten Free Bakehouse to make this recipe with their new Hawaiian Sweet Bread, which we’ve been devouring by the loaf since we tried it a few weeks ago! Unlike many other gluten free breads, it’s not at all dry and doesn’t crumble at the touch. It’s lightly sweet and toasts up perfectly (we love using it for a grilled cheese sandwich!).
Canyon Gluten Free has been our bread company of choice for years and we’re absolutely thrilled to be able to work with such a fantastic group of people. We recently met the team at Expo West and you can really tell how committed they are to making high quality, delicious gluten free alternatives that don’t taste like cardboard. If you’re gluten free, you likely know how difficult it is to find a good bread – we highly suggest trying their products!Print
Balsamic roasted strawberries take this savory/sweet toast to the next level!
- 4 slices Canyon Gluten Free Bakehouse Hawaiian Sweet Bread
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp high quality balsamic vinegar or balsamic reduction
- 1/2 cup vegan ricotta (or regular)
- 2 tbsp fresh mint chiffonade
- Honey or agave for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Wash and slice strawberries into thin rounds. Spread evenly on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Drizzle with sugar and balsamic vinegar. Stir lightly to ensure even coating.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until very tender (be careful to check they haven’t burned).
- Meanwhile, toast bread to desired crispiness.
- Chiffonade mint. Top bread with ricotta, strawberries, mint and a drizzle of honey or agave. Enjoy!